What Distinguishes Kripalu Yoga from other traditions?
Kripalu yoga is a meditation in motion, a combination of Hatha Yoga (physical form) and Raja Yoga (mental form).
* Kripalu yoga begins gently with an emphasis on breath, relaxation and self acceptance and deepens as each person chooses the level of physical intensity right for him or her.
* Emphasizes safety through proper body alignment.
* Encourages learning to love and nurture your body without forcing.
* Recognises that each body is different, postures can be modified to meet individual needs.
* Sees yoga postures not as ends in themselves but as tools to release chronic tension, stretch and strengthen the whole body and increase self awareness.
* Acknowledges that each persons body is the ultimate authority on what promotes health.
* Teaches how to use a balanced yoga routine to turn off stress and turn on the relaxation response crucial to self healing.
* Empowers the student to progressively awaken the capacity to learn from their own direct experience.
* Makes yoga accessable to contemporary people living ordinary lives.
* Views self development as a process of growth and transformation. By nurturing the body and soothing the mind, removes the obstacles that often inhibit growth and leave us feeling less than fully alive .